Georgia EPD has issued the Draft 2017 NPDES General Permit No. GAR050000 for Storm Water Discharges Associated with Industrial Activity. The comment period ends on September 9, 2016. EPD expects to issue a revised draft of the Permit on October 3, 2016 and hold a public hearing on November 9, 2016.
EPD has held several stakeholder meetings and received numerous comments. Some of the more significant, non-sector specific, proposed changes from the existing 2012 Permit are listed below. Note that based on stakeholder comments received, we believe that several of these proposed changes may be removed from the final Permit.
- Catch basins/retention ponds are required to be cleaned when the depth of debris reaches 2/3 of the sump depth. The debris surface must also be at least 6 inches below the lowest outlet pipe.
- The allowable timeframe for documentation of corrective action is reduced from 30 days to 14 days. The allowable timeframe for implementation of corrective action, without requiring approval from EPD, has been reduced from 90 days to 45 days.
- Photo documentation of the quarterly visual (outfall) sample against a neutral background is required. A comparison of the current visual sample to past results is also required.
- Erosion and sediment control measures must be examined more closely in the Annual Comprehensive Site Evaluation.
- Training at hiring and annually thereafter is now required. Training topics are now specified.
- The Site Map must include areas prone to erosion and where control measures are installed or needed.
- The Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan must be made available directly to the public without EPD involvement.
- Numerous changes are proposed to Appendix C Impaired Stream Monitoring.
Currently, the effective date of the Permit is June 1, 2017. As part of the Permit renewal, companies will be required to resubmit their Notice of Intent (NOI) 30 days before the effective date of the Permit. Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plans must also be updated and in place prior to NOI submittal.
The draft Permit can be found at the following link: