On March 6, 2017, the Georgia Environmental Protection Division (EPD) issued the revised NPDES General Permit for Discharges Associated with Industrial Activity, GAR050000. The Permit becomes effective June 1, 2017 and expires May 31, 2022.
A few examples of modifications in the new Permit include:
- Dumpsters and roll-offs that do not have lids and could contaminate storm water must ensure that discharges have a control (e.g., secondary containment, treatment).
- Perform inspections and preventive maintenance of drainage structures, treatment systems, and plant equipment and systems.
- Inspect and maintain baghouses at least quarterly and immediately remove any accumulation of dust.
- Clean catch basins when debris depth reaches two-thirds of the basin depth. The debris surface must be at least six inches below the outlet pipe.
- Examine erosion and sediment control measures during the Annual Comprehensive Site Inspection and state each measure as adequate or needing improvement.
- Delineate all areas subject to erosion on the Site Map.
- Hardness-dependent benchmark concentrations must be determined based on the receiving stream’s hardness value, and not on the site’s storm water discharge.
The Notice of Intent (NOI) must be submitted electronically to EPD on their on-line portal called “GEOS” within thirty (30) days of the Permit’s effective date of June 1st. The Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) must be updated within ninety 90 days and all changes must be implemented within 180 days of the Permit’s effective date. Additionally, any facility operating under a No Exposure Exclusion must reapply for the exclusion within 30 days of the effective date of the permit.
If you are a current client of EPS, we will be contacting you shortly to assist in setting up your GEOS account, submitting your NOI, and preparing your new SWPPP to meet the new Permit requirements.
If you are not a current client of EPS and would like our assistance, please call Ted Peyser or Alan Anderson at (404) 315-9113.
The Permit can be reviewed at the following web address: